Did you know that eight percent of all motorists are completely uninsured in Connecticut? When you’re involved in a motor vehicle accident, one or both parties will have to pay for damages. Property damage and personal injuries of another driver can be expensive. Insurance can help you cover those costs. If you’re a motorcyclist looking for insurance coverage, what options do you have?

Top 3 Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Options

insurance blogFor motorcyclists, there are many choices for insurance coverage. From motorcycle accessories to your own personal injuries, the levels of coverage vary. According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, there is a “big three” in the realm of motorcycle insurance: comprehensive physical damage, collision and bodily injury liability. What does each cover?

Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance

At a minimum in Connecticut, motorcyclists are required to have liability insurance to cover damage and injuries to others. Yet, what about your bike in the event of a crash? Comprehensive physical damage insurance can help cover your bike repairs as a result of:

  • Fire
  • Falling objects
  • Hitting an animal
  • Severe weather conditions
  • Theft
  • Vandalism

Collision Insurance

This type of coverage will help to pay for repairs needed to get your bike back on the road after an accident. In most cases, your collision policy will pay an average cost to cover the damages to your motorcycle, after you’ve paid your insurance deductible. However, not everyone needs this type of coverage. Collision insurance benefits those who own bikes worth more than the repair costs are likely to be.

Bodily Injury Liability Insurance

When you’re at fault in an accident, the injuries caused to the other motorist or his passengers will be partially covered by bodily liability insurance. These may include expenses like:

  • Doctor’s appointments
  • Hospital stays
  • Prescriptions
  • Physical therapy
  • Funeral costs

Yet, it is important to remember that this type of coverage does not apply to your own injuries.

UM and UIM Coverage

At Trantolo and Trantolo, many of our motorcycle accident claims involve riders with Uninsured Motorist (UM) or Underinsured Motorist (UIM) insurance.

  • UM coverage protects motorcyclists in the event of an accident with someone who has no insurance. UM insurance will be split between bodily injury and property damage. We recommend a $500,000 minimum.
  • UIM coverage protects riders against those who only have the minimum insurance requirements. UI insurance does not have to be split between bodily injury and property damage. We recommend a $1,000,000 minimum.

We also suggest getting conversion coverage, where you can receive the insurance from the defendant, as well as your own UM/UIM coverage, with no deductions. For more information, contact Norm LeBlanc, our Marketing Manager and Events Coordinator, who is also a Licensed Insurance Adjuster. No other firm in CT has someone on staff who can assist with property damage settlements.

If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, trust our experienced lawyers at Trantolo & Trantolo. Since many of us ride, we understand that it can be difficult to get the respect you deserve from other motorists. Give us a call today to pursue your claim.