Property owners on Long Island are responsible for ensuring their premises are safe for visitors. This includes keeping it well-maintained, reacting to weather conditions and fixing any hazards that could cause injury. While no one expects to be in a slip and fall accident, these incidents can lead to serious complications.
If you or a loved one has been hurt on someone else’s property, Trantolo & Trantolo can help you secure compensation for related losses, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
Premises Liability Law in New York State
If someone is injured on your grounds due to your own negligence, you could be held liable under premises liability law. In New York, property owners and occupiers owe a duty of care to patrons and guests to make sure their premises are free of obvious and potential dangers.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents on Long Island?
Slip or trip and fall injuries are often caused by unsafe property conditions. There are many different types of premises liability accident claims but they all have one thing in common: serious injuries. Here are some of the most common causes of these incidents:
- Ice or Snow Covered Grounds: On Long Island, property owners must remove accumulation from their property within 4 hours of when snow ceases to fall.
- Wet or Slippery Floors: When a floor has been recently mopped, polished or waxed or a spill has not yet been cleaned up, it can lead to a fall and subsequent injuries.
- Uneven Surfaces: Asphalt cracks, potholes, broken steps and other uneven surfaces can cause someone to trip and fall.
- Cluttered Floors: Objects in a walking path or covering the floor can easily become trip hazards.
- Poor Lighting: Poorly lit parking lots, staircases and other walkways can make it hard to see where you’re walking, potentially leading to someone falling over an unseen obstruction.
- Unmarked Hazards: From rugs that are not securely fastened to elevation changes, such hazards can cause someone to lose their footing.
Common Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Some of the most common injuries that can result from a slip and fall accident include:
- Sprains and strains
- Head injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident on Long Island, it’s important to take certain steps to protect your rights and ensure you receive fair compensation.
- Seek Medical Attention: It’s imperative to be evaluated and diagnosed by a doctor, so treatment can start
- Take Pictures: Identify the source of your fall and capture photos of the scene
- Talk to Witnesses: If other people saw your fall, get their contact information
- File an Injury Report: Cooperate with the property owner to officially put your fall on record with an accident report
- Contact a Lawyer: Our slip and fall accident attorneys can provide legal support and help ensure maximum compensation
Brain Injuries Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common causes of brain injuries. Whether you slip on a patch of ice or fall on the stairs, hitting your head can range from mild, temporary impairments to more severe permanent damage like a traumatic brain injury (TBI).
What Is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A TBI is a type of brain injury caused by a blow or jolt to the head. Even a mild TBI can cause significant symptoms, while more severe TBIs can result in long-term impairments or death.
Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury
Depending on the severity, symptoms of a TBI can vary greatly. Common signs include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fatigue or drowsiness
- Blurry vision
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Ringing in the ear
- Changes in mood or behavior
- Memory or concentration problems
If you have any of these symptoms after a strong impact to the head, it is important to seek medical attention right away.
Contact our Long Island Slip & Fall Attorneys
If you were seriously injured on someone else’s property by no fault of your own, you need the experienced premises liability attorneys at Trantolo & Trantolo on your side! We bring over 80 years of experience, success and tradition to Long Island. After a slip and fall accident, the dedicated legal team assigned to your case will work tirelessly to hold the property owner responsible and secure fair compensation, while you focus on healing. To pursue a claim, contact us today.