There is nothing like the freedom of riding a motorcycle, but along with this freedom comes the burden of sharing the road with careless drivers. In fact, if you’ve been injured or a loved one was killed while riding, you may even be blamed, even if another party was at fault. When this happens, you may need to get a lawyer to file a claim and prove liability.
Motorcycle accident claims differ from other types of vehicle accident claims, and you need strong representation if you want to get the full value of your compensation. Our motorcycle accident attorneys in Suffolk County will get to know you, listen to your concerns, and fight for your rights in New York. At Trantolo & Trantolo, we are committed to promoting motorcycle safety. By filing a motorcycle accident claim, you are helping us promote safety by holding negligent parties who harm motorcycle riders accountable.
Motorcycle Accidents Cause Serious Injuries to New York Riders
According to the Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee (GTSC), research has shown that fatal motorcycle accidents in New York are on the rise, with 198 fatal accidents, representing 18% of all vehicle wreck fatalities in the state that year.
Motorcycle accidents can cause major harm, especially to riders, who don’t have the protection of a vehicle and can be thrown off the bike or worse. Beyond scrapes, strains, and broken bones, motorcyclists can get spinal cord injuries (SCI) and traumatic brain injuries (TBI), which can lead to lifelong disabilities.
If you or a loved one are a rider who has sustained serious injuries, you may be unable to work or need lifetime care just to live. Motorcycle crashes carry risks of catastrophic harm. It’s important to make sure your compensation can cover your injury-related costs now and in the future.
A personal injury attorney in Suffolk County can pursue fair compensation if you suffered major injuries.
Getting Compensation for a Motorcycle Accident Claim in Suffolk County
In a motorcycle accident claim, your injuries impact your settlement amount. You may get money for economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages have receipts, like medical bills and lost wages, while non-economic damages account for physical and emotional pain. These damages often include:
- Lost wages from missing work after the crash. Accidents can cause sudden money problems.
- Medical bills that pile up from ongoing treatment. Severe injuries mean high costs.
- Pain and suffering from physical and emotional trauma. This pain deserves compensation.
- Property damage if the bike is totaled. Repairs or replacement can be expensive.
Your Connecticut motorcycle accident lawyers can explain your losses to the at-fault party’s insurance company, or to a judge or jury if your case goes to trial.
How Much Are Most Motorcycle Accident Settlements?
There is no average motorcycle accident settlement amount, because every claim is unique. The circumstances of your accident will determine how much your claim is worth, including how much your medical bills are, how much salary you’ve missed, and other factors.
Attorney Keith Trantolo reached a $465,000 settlement for a client who sustained multiple serious injuries after they were hit by a driver and flew through the air, their motorcycle skidding across two lanes of traffic. And that is just one of our success stories.
These are some more results Trantolo & Trantolo has achieved for our clients who were injured in motorcycle collisions:
- $3,500,000 settlement: Our client crashed after riding over a bad roadway and was seriously injured. .
- $3,000,000 settlement: A left-turning truck hit and killed a motorcyclist who was going straight.
- $1,900,000 settlement: A truck turned left into our client’s motorcycle, injuring her badly.
- $1,700,000 settlement: A car turned left and hit a motorcycle, seriously injuring the passenger and killing the driver.
- $1,200,000 settlement: An improper left turn ejected and seriously injured a motorcycle passenger.
- $1,000,000 settlement: A negligent driver hit a client’s motorcycle, causing life-changing injuries.
- $600,000 settlement: A client was ejected after a car turned left into his motorcycle, causing brain trauma.
- $550,000 settlement: A client was hit by a car that was exiting a driveway, causing them to suffer serious leg fractures.
- $550,000 settlement: An oncoming car turned left, colliding with and killing a motorcyclist.
How much will you get in your motorcycle accident claim in Suffolk County? The only way to get an accurate estimate is to reach out to an attorney who can examine your evidence.
There Is a Deadline to File Your New York Motorcycle Injury Claim
There is a deadline called the statute of limitations to file a motorcycle accident lawsuit. According to New York § 214, for personal injury claims, the deadline in most cases is three years, though there are some exceptions. Missing this deadline can ruin your case and take away your one chance to be compensated for your losses.
Never assume when the deadline is, as the rules in New York motorcycle injury claims are complex. Certain factors may affect the deadline. A motorcycle accident lawyer in Suffolk County can identify the right deadline for your case.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Suffolk County
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident, what you do after a motorcycle accident can significantly affect any future legal claim. Follow these steps to protect yourself and your rights after a motorcycle wreck:
- Call 911 if anyone is seriously injured.
- Get medical treatment to create a medical record – here is a list of Suffolk County hospitals.
- Call the police to file a report of the accident – you can get a copy of your report here.
- Document your injuries, the vehicles, and the scene with photos and videos.
- Exchange contact info with the other driver and any eyewitnesses.
- Write down key details, including the weather, time of day, and road conditions.
Always prioritize your health first. But when you’re up for it, contact a motorcycle accident lawyer. Reaching out to a motorcycle accident attorney in Suffolk County can protect the value of your claim by letting us handle communications with insurance companies.
How Our Suffolk County Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Help
At Trantolo & Trantolo, our Suffolk County motorcycle accident attorneys believe that justice applies equally to everyone, and that’s why we’ve been fighting insurance companies for more than 80 years. We will do whatever it takes to see justice served on your behalf.
Our motorcycle accident lawyers in Suffolk County are dedicated to helping those who have been injured in motorcycle accidents and their loved ones. We offer free case reviews and give honest opinions about your legal options.
We know your bills and expenses will be high after a motorcycle wreck. That’s why we take cases on a contingency fee basis. That means you only pay our fees and costs if your case is successfully resolved.
Our goal is getting you fair compensation after a motorcycle accident. Contact us for caring, expert legal help. You can read our motorcycle accident client testimonials to learn more about what to expect when you work with us.
Types of Motorcycle Accident Claims Lawyers Represent
We represent claims in the many common types of motorcycle accidents that are caused by another party’s negligence. These are some of the most common types of motorcycle accident claims we see that never would have happened if a driver wasn’t careless:
- Driver of another vehicle fails to see the motorcycle and turns in front of it
- Driver of another vehicle rear-ends the motorcycle
- Driver of another vehicle changes lanes into the motorcycle’s path
- Slippery road conditions cause the motorcycle to skid or tip over
- Rider takes a turn too sharply, losing control
- Rider speeding, especially around curves
- Rider impairment from alcohol or drugs
- Defective motorcycle parts like tires or brakes
- Poor road conditions like potholes or debris
- Bad weather such as rain or wind affecting traction
- Rider inexperience or lack of training
- Rider distraction or inattention
Many motorcycle crashes involve multiple factors that are caused by negligence. Your injury lawyer will use evidence to prove fault in a motorcycle accident.
Talk to a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Suffolk County for Free
A Suffolk County motorcycle accident lawyer can fight to protect your rights in New York if you’ve been injured while riding. The team at Trantolo & Trantolo is available 24/7 to help you set up your free consultation. You don’t have to commit to filing a legal claim to meet with us. During our first meeting, we will discuss your case and the options that are available.
Don’t take on a big insurance company on your own while you need to stay focused on your health. Our goal is to get you the compensation you need to recover.