Written by  Keith V. Trantolo

If you sustain an injury on the job and are unable to work, how will you pay a mountain of medical bills when you’ve lost pay? File a workers’ compensation claim. Under the Connecticut Workers Compensation Act, employees are guaranteed benefits that help compensate for lost wages and medical care costs.
When you’re hurt while performing job duties, report your injury to your boss right away and get medical attention before you file a claim with the state. Once you have filed, follow up with your employer’s insurance carrier to ensure your benefits check has been issued.

State of Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Commission

Your Connecticut employer is required to have a state or federal workers’ compensation policy to protect employees in the event of an injury on the job. When you file a claim against the company, you should be adequately covered for any resulting damages of the injury. Forms can be found online.

Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP)

OWCP has four specific disability programs to offer compensation for lost wages, medical attention, vocational rehabilitation and survivor benefits:

  • Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation
  • Federal Employees’ Compensation Program
  • Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Program
  • Coal Mine Workers’ Compensation Program

Learn more about this division of the United States Department of Labor.

U.S. Department of Labor: Employees’ Compensation Operations & Management Portal (ECOMP)

Civilian federal workers, those employed by the federal government who are not in the military, are protected under the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA). When injured on the job or a work-related illness is sustained, these employees receive benefits. If you are a civilian federal worker, you can find the steps to file a claim on their website.