Written by  Keith V. Trantolo

Placing a loved one in a nursing home can be a tough decision for a family. Although it’s often the best move for the welfare of aging individuals, you can feel like you’re abandoning a family member. So, you take the time to carefully research nearby facilities to find the right one to provide quality care in a safe environment. You put your trust in the medical staff there to take excellent care of your loved one but, after several visits, you notice he or she does not seem happy in the facility. Signs of abuse and neglect are present – what can you do? We offer four reputable resources to help you during this shocking and difficult time.

Connecticut Department of Public Health

Through the CT DPH, you can report a health practitioner or a skilled nursing facility for mistreatment. Whether your loved one was receiving in-patient or at-home care when the abuse occurred, the department will investigate your case and take necessary action.

Connecticut Department of Social Services

The CT DSS offers defense against the mistreatment of older individuals. The Protective Services for the Elderly shields people over the age of 60 from physical, mental and emotional abuse, as well as financial exploitation. When you contact the Connecticut PSE, a plan of action will be designed for your specific situation, including safe removal from a facility.

National Center on Elder Abuse

In some cases, a loved one may be receiving care in another state. The National Center on Elder Abuse is a countrywide resource that provides links to agencies in all 50 states. You can also review laws and regulations in specific states, which helps you be sure that abuse has occurred before you take serious action.

The Administration on Aging

The Administration for Community Living’s Administration on Aging (AoA) is a great tool to help families find the right nursing home for a loved one. In the event that the nursing home selected is not up to standard, the AoA’s Office of Elder Justice and Protective Services responds to abuse claims and provides resources to help prevent abuse before it occurs.

If you or a loved one is in an emergency situation, call 911 to report the abuse right away.